George Davidson & Co of Teams Glass Works, Gateshead, was founded in 1867. By 1887 there was a workforce of 350, which produced 200-250 tons of glassware per month.
They first produced glass chimneys for lamps, and then wine glasses and bottles. By the end of the first decade, they abandoned lamps and went into pressed glass. Davidson established trade with his brother in Australia 1878-79.
In January of 1881 there was a serious fire, but by October they were back in production. In April of 1881, they bought the moulds of the Neville glass works, and in December 1884 those of W H Heppel and Co. By 1886, they had a full range of domestic tableware and in 1887 produced plates and bowls for Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee. Also in 1887, the firm was awarded the gold medal at the Newcastle Exhibition.
The firm produced suites of tableware each year in a different design; the Hobnail Suite in 1885, the Daisy Suite in 1886, 1887 was Jubilee ware, and 1888 the Silver Wedding of the Prince and Princess of Wales. Afterwards, suites were named after the year: “1889 Suite” etc.
1889 saw the introduction of Pearline in blue and primrose. This was patented by Davidson’s son Thomas, and was very successful. In 1896 a new colour Patent Rose was introduced, using the pattern shapes of blue and primrose pearline. (Therefore, pieces will be found with a registration number earlier than the colour was introduced.)
In 1891, George Davidson died and control of the firm passed to his son Thomas. The firm was still in existence in 1987.
“A demi-lion issuing from a mural crown”, used from c.1880-1890. It was revived in a different form in the 1920s.