Molineaux, Webb and Co (spelled Molineux in early directories) was established in Kirby St, Ancoats, Manchester, in 1827. Pigot’s directory of 1830 lists Maginnis Molineux and Co, but in 1832 there are 2 firms, Molineux, Webb Ellis and Co, and Robinson Perrin and Maginnis.
The founder was Thomas Webb II who manufactured bowls for railway lamps, lenses for ships’ lamps, and later domestic glassware. Molineux and Co registered their first design in 1846. Glass from the early period cannot be identified, until 1860 when they began to register designs.
Molineux and Webb registered about 60 designs (as Molineaux Webb and Co from 1865-90). In 1864, they registered the well-known Greek key pattern, which was used on comports, dishes, celeries, plates, jugs and basins. In 1875, they produced a paperweight in the form of a black opaque sphinx, their only 3-dimensional ornament.
They issued some designs for imitation cut-glass, but also produced other items which were not of pressed glass, such as decanters, glasses and other tableware. and pieces in engraved and cut glass. New designs appeared throughout the century, such as ornamental flower holders in opalescent glass.
The firm ceased trading in 1927.